Gods approval of rape and incest

rape

All throughout the Bible we read many stories that proves God’s approval of rape and incest. Not only does God approve rape and incest, there are times when God actually had women raped. In this post it is my intention to point out several accounts where God approves rape and incest.

Let us begin with the most common story of Lot and his daughters.  “One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man around here to give us children—as is the custom all over the earth. Let’s get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.”That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up. So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. (Genesis 19:31-36 NIV)

This love fest has taken place after the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. If you remember from a previous post, two angels were staying with Lot and forced him and his family to leave before the destruction. Well, now the cities are completely destroyed, Lot’s wife has been turned to a pillar of salt for looking over her shoulder and all that’s left is Lot and his daughters. So, now the daughters, after not being able to find a man, decided that It would be a good idea to get dear ole dad drunker than cooter brown and take turns on him. That’s right ladies, the next time your dad is looking extra sexy, make him a stiff drink and enjoy the ride. When he asks what you are doing, tell him you are reliving the story of Lot and his daughters in the Bible. I’m sure he will be okay with it, after all it’s in the Bible so it must be okay, right?

If Lot’s daughters screwing their dad wasn’t bad enough we move on to God forcing a rape victim to marry her rapist.  When I pointed this out to a Christian friend and he quickly said ” that’s not in the Bible!” After showing him these verses,  If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives(Deuteronomy 22: 28-29 NIV) he claimed that God can do anything he wants with his creation. I found it very interesting that he found it disturbing until he found out it was God, then all of a sudden it was okay.

It really bothers me that God would require a rape victim to marry her rapist and even more bothersome is the ransom (50 shekels of silver) the rapist must pay the father. Was that all his daughter was worth? Maybe it’s me, but if a man were to rape my daughter then have the balls to come and meet with me, he would be a dead rapist! But not in the Bible, as long as daddy get’s his money he didn’t care. He is essentially saying “she’s all yours, thank you for your business.”  I find it amazing that no where in the scriptures do they ever defend the woman. No one ever thinks to ask the woman how she feels  about it. She is just expected to lay down and take it (literally) from her rapist husband whom she is not allowed to divorce. How can women stand and defend this book is beyond my comprehension.

Next we read where God kills a rape victim for the horrible crime of not screaming for help. If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you (Deuteronomy 22: 23-24 NIV). Are you kidding me?? How can anyone call God a peaceful and loving God when he intentionally has a woman who has just gone through what is possibly the most horrific event in her life? Notice that the bible does not give us any details. Did the rapist hold his hand over her mouth to prevent her from screaming? Did the rapist tell her that he would kill her if she screamed? Also, what does being in town have to do with anything? If he raped her in the country, would they both live? This we will never know. But yet Christians will tell you God is love. I will tell you that if this is love, I’m not interested!

My Christian friends would tell me that I have taken everything out of context and I personally welcome their explanation of the above verses. So, if you are a Christian and happen to reading this post, I welcome any apologetic’s you may have concerning the above verses.

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Gods approval of rape and incest

1. Emmy October 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM Reply

When it says the woman did not scream for help it meant that she did not resist in Anyway. Therefore it is cheating.In this time period the woman only cares about getting married and having children. Therefore, properly marrying her and giving her children was the respectful thing to do after raping her.

2. Steve Sayles December 14, 2014 at 12:54 AM Reply

Hello

I will briefly try to answer your post from a Christian Theological perspective.

First I would like to establish a correct hermeneutic. All because something is recorded in the Bible, does not mean:- That it is

1/ Gods will (condoned by God)
    2/True (for example in Psalm 14:1 it states “There is no God.) Context is important.
    3/ Relating to 1 above – Setting a precedence (Gods will)

What we should understand with the Christian perspective is that the Bible is accurate, it records historical events accurately. (Warts and all).

We can therefore look at the events of Genesis 19:31-36 as a record of terrible sin and not a setting of a Godly precedence.

Deuteronomy 22: 28-29 is taken from the Law (Mosaic). This has to be understood within the historical-cultural context. Especially within the cultural concept of sex and marriage. (You are correct as you implied from the text, that women were viewed as property) This view is abhorrent to our Western Worldview, (very much similar to our view of slavery. Which you will no doubt observe in the Bible is never condemned, but accepted as part of the culture at the time).

God’s will during this period of history was not to create a revolution in social and cultural ethics, but rather to deal with a nomadic tribe within their cultural context. (which was set in the wider socia-context of the surrounding nations).

Deuteronomy 22: 23-24 is difficult to grasp from our modern position. But what is implied in the text is consent (not screaming). Verses 22-30 give us a view of the emphasis placed upon a Hebrew woman’s virginity as well as the standing of their women in that society. Her virginity is treated more as the property of her father or husband rather than her own. You will notice is verses 23 and 24 that a man betrothed to a woman is called her husband.

We then see some special conditions listed with regard to whom gets stoned in the case of adultery in verses 21-30. You will notice that stoning was the associated punishment for adultery in these cases when the woman was the wife or betrothed of another, but not otherwise. If the woman was not committed to another man, the penalty was not death unless she entered a marriage under the pretense of being a virgin and it was discovered not to be so.

We must be very careful when imposing modern ethics on ancient cultures.

I could write a full apologia, but alas I fear I would be spitting into the wind.

regards

Steve Sayles

3. L March 23, 2015 at 7:04 AM Reply

one comment on the incest event , you don’t actually state how its approved? relating an evil event is not the same as endorsing it? I assume a Christian would say that an argument from silence yada yada?

4. Cheryl April 7, 2015 at 6:22 PM Reply

Sorry to bust your bubble, but God did not approve of any rape or incest. No where in the bible does it say that God approved. The bible is a record of what happen, so it is a record of what was truly stated and in many cases not a statement of truth. It is funny how those who do not know the book will misunderstand it.

• noreligionrequired April 7, 2015 at 6:30 PM Reply

Having the ability to stop a terrible event from happening and refusing to do so is the same as giving your approval of it. I’m willing to be if you knew you could help someone being beaten or raped without you getting injured, you would do it. So would I, yet your God CONTINUES to watch as children are brutally raped and murdered and does NOTHING to stop it. Therefore, if you are willing to stop it, you are better than the God you worship.

The bible is not a record of what happened. You have no way of PROVING or KNOWING what you claim “actually” happened. If you have demonstrable evidence please provide it. BTW..if you are like anyone else who claims to have evidence, your personal experience IS NOT evidence. So, please provide any evidence you have. I would love to see it.

5. Patrick Fitzgerald June 28, 2015 at 8:31 AM Reply

Cheryl: “…God did not approve of any rape or incest. No where in the bible does it say that God approved.”

According to the Bible God designed it so that Adam and Eve’s children would have to commit incest in order to beget the rest of us. Out of the infinite number of ways an “almighty” god could have made the human race, again, according to the Bible, God chose incest as the means by which their children would “be fruitful and multiply.”

Then: Genesis 1:31 “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good…”

If you think something is good then you “approve” of it.

Cheryl, there’s plenty of God approved murder, rape and pillage in the Bible, just do some Googling.

6. Brian Piotrowski February 15, 2016 at 8:01 AM Reply

This is horrendous and Jews/Christians cannot dance around this. It’s eerie listening to Jews trying to rationalise these LAWS, not just simple texts, on rape. There’s absolutely nothing that justifies it. Christians are trying to redress the issue by making out that the Jewish civilisation from 1300BC-Jesus’s birth were deranged monkeys or something. In the history of civilisation, a time like 600BC is quite recent.
    Muslims hold that the Old Testament has been corrupted by men, very strange men.

7. thereasonerscorner June 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM Reply

First off, let’s not attribute character to God.
    The President of the United States is a real person. I cannot say what he would do in any situation unless I really knew him, and even then I cannot say because he is a different person than I am. Frankly, I can’t even say what I will do in any situation and I’m me! The same goes for every single one of us here.

So let’s step back. Saying that having the *ability* to prevent something evil from happening and *not preventing* that evil from happening= categorical evil is nonsense in the strictest form. I am assuming that none of us here have raised children, coached a team, or dealt with mentoring any persons other than being mentored or raised ourselves. There are plenty of times of teaching moments where a parent allows a child to do something and learn from the consequences. Parents let their children do their own homework…and if they refuse to do it they get bad grades. That’s an evil thing, for a child to skirt his/her responsibilities. But in learning the consequences of evil, the child grows and matures.
    Some of us on here don’t even trust in the God of the Bible. According to this God, that is the root of all evil, but *thankfully* this God allows that freedom…unlike some other deities that come to mind. In fact, the God of the Bible is so strict in what qualifies as evil (especially in the character of Jesus) that all of us have done *something* evil today or yesterday…and God allowed it. Ever got angry for the wrong reasons, or let your anger control your behavior? Ever lusted, or were stingy with your money for the poor? Congratulations, you are just like I am and every other human on the planet. Join the club of sinners where every church is already a member.

I can’t address all of this right now, but honestly this rendering of Deuteronomy 22 is demonstrably erroneous. This is partly the fault of the translators’ own prejudices, but it is also part of faulty research and cutting off at Deuteronomy 22:24 and not reading the other verses (one of which directly asks the theoretical question posited, which may have been intentional by the author). You guys can just check my blog out for the answers from the original text about these sexual cases.

By the way, to correct the well-intended apologia above, women were not viewed as property in the Torah because they were women. Read Zelophehad’s daughters sometime, or even 1 Chronicles 7:24. Women inherited property and even built cities.

The blog post: https://thereasonerscorner.wordpress.com/2016/05/10/never-hide-from-critics/

8. thereasonerscorner June 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM Reply

God bless you guys too!

9. Terra Olathe Oxentenko December 4, 2016 at 3:18 PM Reply

I will not try to defend any of these verses as they are all despicable.. However, I wouldn’t place the blame on Lot or God for the choices his daughters made as Lot did not ask for it and was a victim of rape, and God certainly didn’t tell Lot’s daughters to go in and sleep with their father. So this story I do not think is a credible story to use in your defense of the bible supporting incest and rape. But the others such as making a victim of rape live with her rapist is wrong.. but in those times had the man not been ordered to take her as his wife she would have been an outcast without a home.. so possible it was the lesser of two evils for she would have perished.. but stoning a rape victim with her rapist is bad.. but at least the rapist dies… I say stone the rapist and let the victim go free… the bible can be funny at times, can’t it?