You are perfect just the way you are

tumblr_n0mse5mcaN1qddzmko1_500

Growing up in the Southern Baptist tradition, we were taught that we born sinners; we are flawed due to a rib woman eating an apple that a talking snake told her to eat. We are seen as weak and Jesus is strong. Isn’t amazing that Christianity strives to keep it’s followers weak instead of encouraging their strength. Anytime a Christian does something that is perceived to be against their invisible sky daddy they see themselves as failures. Too many times I’ve been told that I failed God and that I was never a ‘true’ Christian. To those people I would say…If being a TRUE Christian means telling a non-believer that they should be beheaded, hung, stoned to death or castrated so that they cannot spread the seed of Satan, I will admit that I was never a ‘true’ Christian.

I can understand the reasoning behind telling believers that they’re flawed and in need of a savior. As long as people continue to believe that they are horrible sinners in need of a savior, they will continue to fill churches every Sunday. As long as they continue to fill churches the offering plate continues to stay full. The more people they can convince that they’re flawed, broken, impure and lost sinners, the more money they can bring into the church and into the pastor’s pocket. Now I know there will be people who criticize me for saying that the pastors fill their pockets, but the next time you drive by a church on Sunday, look at the cars in the parking lot. Chances are the Mercedes is parked in the Pastors designated parking space.

If you never remember anything I share with you on this blog, please remember this…You are NOT flawed, you are NOT weak, you are NOT broken, you are NOT impure and you are NOT a lost sinner! You are perfect just the way you are. Never allow anyone to bring you down to their level. Force them to come up to your level instead and if they refuse they are not worth your time. Live the life YOU want to live, according your own standards. Be kind to others and treat others the way THEY want to be treated and you will have friends for life.

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “You are perfect just the way you are

1. trueandreasonable February 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM Reply

I don’t think science makes any evaluative judgments at all. And my religion always taught that people are “wonderfully made.” But I do recognize there are differences among different Christian Churches.

Do you think no one who reads your blog is a sinner or weak? Can you honestly tell everyone they are perfect?

I mean, I think I am pretty good and all, maybe even slightly above average, but perfect?

There is no doubt that Christ challenges people to do better. It forces people to deal with the truth of how they are so they can improve. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that.

• noreligionrequired February 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM Reply

I am not a Christian, and I DO believe that people are perfect just the way they are. I do not think that people should walk around worried that a God is constantly monitoring every thought, word or deed and writing it all down for a final judgement. I truly feel that telling someone that God not only holds your actions and words against you, but also holds your thoughts against you as well is setting a person up for failure and it seems very unfair. It seems the person does not stand a fighting chance. I think people should be free to be who and what they want to be without the fear of burning in hell.

We live in a free country and one of the benefits of living in this country is the freedom of religion and also freedom FROM religion. I feel that anyone has the right to follow any religion they wish. With that being said, if we rose in the morning to find that our government has passed a law saying that Christianity is now outlawed, I would stand shoulder to shoulder with you and fight for your religious rights.

Thank you again for all of your comments and thank for you for your willingness to to have a respectful and courteous conversation. I want the people who read these comments to see that two people with opposing views can have a civil conversation without any name calling or belittling of the other person.

2. trueandreasonable February 27, 2014 at 9:23 PM Reply

I am happy to talk about these issues with you and I appreciate your sharing your views with me. .

“As I read this comment I had to remember where you are coming from. I had to remember that you are a Christian and being a Christian if anyone were to say that they are perfect it is considered blasphemy.

I am not a Christian, and I DO believe that people are perfect just the way they are.”

At first I thought you were going to say that you realized i was Catholic and not Protestant. Protestants do tend to emphasize how sinful we are much more than Catholics. This was especially true of Martin Luther who when he was a Catholic Priest spent a large amount of time in confession. He developed the view that even our greatest works were mortal sins.

Catholics think a bit different. We think we were made from God and we are on the whole good like all of God’s Creation. Yes we sin but we are wonderfully made and every child is a blessing to be cherished. Also we do not believe children before the age of reason can sin. So no Catholic would say that girl in the picture was guilty of any sins.

But that was not where you were going. You suggested I refuse to admit everyone is perfect just the way they are because I would consider it blasphemy. Honestly that never crossed my mind. The evidence makes it abundantly clear to me that everyone is not perfect just the way we are. Read the news look around. Even look at your blog:

Was Elijah Fernandez perfect? If so what would you consider an imperfection?

Using religion to justify the horrible neglect of your children that lead to death? Are they perfect?

I honestly never even thought that disputing that “everyone is perfect just the way they are” is blasphemy. I just thought it was obvious.

“I do not think that people should walk around worried that a God is constantly monitoring every thought, word or deed and writing it all down for a final judgement. I truly feel that telling someone that God not only holds your actions and words against you, but also holds your thoughts against you as well is setting a person up for failure and it seems very unfair. It seems the person does not stand a fighting chance.”

You seem to think that your every thought you have will be used against you. But I thought you act out of love for others? Don’t you realize those acts of love will also be considered?

“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8 Its not all bad.

The fact that God knows our every thought makes it clear that justice will be done. Why do you think it denies your a fighting chance? Do you want to try to deceive a judge about your intentions and thoughts? Is that your only fighting chance? God knowing struggles and intentions is a relief to me. I am not perfect but I do think I am fairly well intentioned.

” I think people should be free to be who and what they want to be without the fear of burning in hell.”

I am not sure people burn in hell so much as be without God. But in any case I think its only right that if God is going to judge us for the life we lead that he at least give us fair warning.

“As a humanist I advocate for equality for all people regardless of their sex, race, religion and sexual orientation. I don’t think Christians can say this due to the massive anti-gay movement in the Christian religion. When I had a pastor tell me that he believes that all gays should be stoned to death because God said to do it, I had to tap out. I believe everyone deserves equal rights and should not be held to one religious creed.”

I believe we are all equal in Christ.

Just to be clear my faith teaches some very hard sexual rules to live by. It is a mortal sin for Catholics masturbate, to use birth control to prevent pregnancy even with a married couple, even for a married couple to engage in oral sex. It is considered a mortal sin to even to think lustful thoughts of anyone who is not you spouse.

However it is not a sin at all to be gay. It is not a sin at all to *be* who God made you. There is difference drawn between what our inclinations are and how we act on them.

I do admit it easier for heterosexuals who can live out their sexual desires in marriage. But Catholic priests often take a vow of celibacy and to that extent try to “walk the walk” with others who are not heterosexuals. Yes they likely fail often. But I don’t think the Church discriminates. Its very hard on everyone. Honestly I can only pray that God is more lenient than what the Catholic Church teaches. I tend to hope that the Catholic Church is acting out of overabundant concern for the souls of its members.

But I am just a practicing Catholic not a perfect Catholic by any stretch.

• noreligionrequired February 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM Reply

I consider you a new friend and i hope you can say the same about me. To be honest, I never knew that you were a Catholic and I don’t know much about Catholicism so I cannot comment on what Catholics believe or do not believe. I do respect your views and I thank you for sharing them with me.

I think you are misreading or not understanding what I’m implying when I say a person is perfect the way they are. Please do not get stuck on the word ‘perfect’. I am not implying that they are perfect or sinless as some would say. I think everyone has their own shortcomings or things they regret. I certainly have my share of regrets. When I say a person is perfect the way they are, what I’m saying is that as long as they are happy with their life and the direction their life is going, that is all that matters. They should not feel the need to change being who they are to fit in with any group, organization or religion. If people can not accept the person for who they are it is those people’s loss ( i know that isn’t good English but it worked lol)

I owe you an apology. I was not trying to tie you in with all Christians. I know that within Christianity there are MANY different denominations and MANY different beliefs within that one religion. So please accept my apology if you felt that I was pin pointing you specifically as a person who would see my saying a person is perfect just the way they are as blasphemy. I was speaking specifically about the religion my parents indoctrinated me into as a child.

I think you may be forgetting that I do not hold any belief in God or God’s. Everything I do IS done out of love for humanity. It is not done trying to win some special favor from a God or to try and gain some mansion in a far off heaven when I die. I treat others with love, respect and compassion because I love humanity.

3. trueandreasonable March 1, 2014 at 11:49 AM Reply

First no need to apologize I imagine there are other Catholics who would want to claim I am not a Catholic, even though I think I am. Who is and is not a Catholic can seem as complicated as who is and who is not a Christian.

I really like the idea of having friends who think enjoy thinking about the same issues. Whether we agree or not is not that important. So yes I consider you and other non Christians friends absolutely.

” I certainly have my share of regrets. When I say a person is perfect the way they are, what I’m saying is that as long as they are happy with their life and the direction their life is going, that is all that matters. They should not feel the need to change being who they are to fit in with any group, organization or religion. ”

I think the root of our disagreement is that based on this and other comments you made I think you are a subjectivity when it comes to morals. I believe in real objective morality that is not dependent on whether anyone is happy or not with it.

We might as well get to some of the common arguments. I really think Hitler thought what he was doing was for the best. I know when we have the moral beliefs we share its hard to believe since our views on right and wrong are very different. But he basically rejected the idea that loving others was important. He thought the advancement of Germany was important and thought Jews were a cancer. What made him happy was very different than what would make us happy. He was simply wrong. In my view he wasn’t wrong because a church disagreed with him but because in reality his actions were wrong. (Although I do think Churches can be very effective guides to right and wrong.)

“I am glad to see that you do not feel homosexuality is a sin. As a former Southern Baptist, I assure you that they definitely see homosexuality as a sin and worth of death.”

I tend to follow my churches teaching on this. Being a homosexual is in no way a sin. However, homosexual conduct, like thinking lustful thoughts about someone who is not your spouse can be sinful. Like I said Catholics tow a very hard line on this.

To say any sin is worthy of death is in general a very anti christian message. If someone is sinning the last thing any good christian would want is for them to die. They would want them to repent, turn away from sin, and toward God.

“Everything I do IS done out of love for humanity. It is not done trying to win some special favor from a God or to try and gain some mansion in a far off heaven when I die. I treat others with love, respect and compassion because I love humanity. ”

Sadly many protestant Christians rejected the traditions that Christians have developed over the 1500 years before Luther. What you do is often taught as a goal. If we need to get people doing good out of fear. But eventually they will not need to the fear motivation. All of the teaching of monks and other holy people we pretty much discarded by protestants. Although some protestants are starting to come back and realize maybe traditions in Christianity was not all bad.

But anyway my point is, your view is not really anti-christian. We should act well out of love not out of selfish gain. But if we can’t act well without the fear well then use the fear until you learn. Sort of like training wheels.

• noreligionrequired March 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM Reply

I like your idea of training wheels, but I don’t think those training wheels should be attached to a bicycle that says love me or be tormented of all eternity. I do think it is important to crawl before you walk, but I think someone can learn to walk without being attached to a religion.

I want to thank you for using Hitler as an example because Ive been wanting to do a post on him but I knew it would be a very sore subject for many people and I did not want to use this blog as a tool of offense although I am well aware that many of my post do offend my Christian readers. So I’ve decided to go ahead and do the post about Hitler and sit back and enjoy all the comments that will come my way.

I am truly enjoying all the comments folks are leaving and I’m surprised that 90% of them are coming from Christians. I’m not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but I enjoy reading them non-the-less.

• trueandreasonable March 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM

I am glad you enjoy reading the comments.

After reading your post on Hitler I am not sure you understood the point of my comment. You may have, but your post on Hitler was beside the point I am making here.

Most people need the training wheels. Most children learn morals on threat of punishment at first (share with your sister or else…)

Let me ask you something. Do you love others because it benefits you or them or both? Or do you love others for some other reasons?

• noreligionrequired March 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I was very hesitant to post the Hitler post. I’ve wanted to do it for quite a while but I didn’t know how to write a post without offending someone. It truly isn’t my intent to offend but only to express my views for others to consider. You are right when you say that most children learn their morals on threat of punishment, but does it make it right?

As far as your last question about why I love others. My love for others never has a selfish motive. I show my love for others because there is so much hatred in this world (i.e. Kalei Wilson’s multiple death threats from Christians) and I want others to see that there are some people out there that love you regardless of what your sex, age, race or sexual orientation happens to be. I am an Atheist and so many people see me as something evil but this is only because of the negative connotation attached the word itself. If everyone could take a moment and sit down and have an honest and open conversation with an Atheist, Agnostic or Humanist they would see that we are not bad people, we just happen to have no belief in a God or God’s. This does not in any way make us any less of a person than someone who does believe. In fact, they would see that we have a deep love for humanity and we fight very hard for equality for all people. But this is never observed. It is easier to label us devil worshipers and to say we are doing Satan’s work. Bottom line is, love for humanity doesn’t have to have an ulterior motive but simply to love.

4. trueandreasonable March 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM Reply

“In fact, they would see that we have a deep love for humanity and we fight very hard for equality for all people. But this is never observed. It is easier to label us devil worshipers and to say we are doing Satan’s work. Bottom line is, love for humanity doesn’t have to have an ulterior motive but simply to love.”

Or not love. You tend to refer to a “we” and “us” quite a bit. Atheists don’t all love nor do they all fight very hard for equality for all people. .

“I was very hesitant to post the Hitler post. I’ve wanted to do it for quite a while but I didn’t know how to write a post without offending someone.”

Either you were aware of the private views of Hitler on religion and deliberately kept them out of the blog or you were simply unaware of them.

Since you seem to read allot of atheists blogs (and they almost without exception never mention his private thoughts on religion and only his public statements) I think it’s quite possible you have just been sipping the atheist Kool-aid and you were simply unaware of the full historical record on this.

Sadly I think many atheist bloggers are more interested in their own agenda and so refuse to post the evidence that suggests Hitler was not Christian.

Everyone needs to decide if they are going to pursue the truth or an agenda. Sadly most atheist bloggers I read clearly just have an agenda. When I realize that I lose interest.

• noreligionrequired March 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM Reply

“You tend to refer to a “we” and “us” quite a bit. Atheists don’t all love nor do they all fight very hard for equality for all people.”

I think what you are failing to realize is that the “we” and the “us” is pertaining to the group of Atheist and Humanist that I associate with. I am very much aware that there are Atheist out there that are very brutal to Christians. I do not agree with the way they act because they make it extremely difficult for those of us who do wish to have a civil conversation.

I do understand your comment about the private conversations with Hitler. Regardless of what was said in private, he still considered himself a Christian in public. Most people are held accountable for what is said in public. I am about to start a podcast for this blog and I know I will be held accountable for the things I say in the show.

You are correct in me reading other atheist blogs. Why wouldn’t I? What is any different in my reading atheist blogs than a Christian reading Christian blogs. One could say the same about you and say you are sipping Christian Kool-aid. We are social creatures so we tend to navigate to those things that are common for us. For me, it is Atheist blogs and Atheist materials.

5. trueandreasonable March 4, 2014 at 12:10 AM Reply

“I do understand your comment about the private conversations with Hitler. Regardless of what was said in private, he still considered himself a Christian in public. Most people are held accountable for what is said in public.”

He also said he wanted peace in public. Will you podcast how people who want peace are just like Hitler?

“I would agree that there are Atheist bloggers out there are interested in their own agenda but I also see MANY Christian blogs that are interesting in their own agenda as well. So how are we any different? Most Christian blogs are posting the same agenda..Jesus, Heaven, Hell for sinners, etc, etc. So, there really isn’t much difference in Christian blogs and Atheist blogs. The only difference is a difference of beliefs.”

Yes there are allot of blogs Christian and atheist that just try to push agendas. Then there are those who seek truth and accept that there is some evidence against their views even if that doesn’t fit their agenda. These are the reasonable people who have fruitful discussions.

One of the things I have learned is that there is no reason to be emotional on these topics. Put faith in your own ability to act rationally. If rationality points you in a different direction then you learned something – and that is about the best we can hope for with these discussions. I think the amount of agenda someone has is directly proportional to the amount of emotion they try to stir up. It’s as if the truth is not loud enough for them they need to emotion to scream their agenda.